Sunday, February 14, 2016

ARC Review of The Year We Fall Apart

The Year We Fell Apart   
By Emily Martin

Stars: 3
Source: EW
Release Date: January 26th 2016


If Harper could take back all of the mistakes that she has made in the past year she would do it in a heartbeat. Earning a reputation as the schools slut, getting kicked off the swim team, distancing herself from her family. She'd take it all back. But the thing she regrets most is Declan. Messing up their friendship, destroying their relationship. Turning away from him when he needed her the most. 

But now Declan is home from boarding school and he makes it almost impossible to ignore him and the choices that she's made. 

Is it too late to move forward or will the past catch up with her before she's ready to confront it? 

-----------------------------------

"In the tradition of Sarah Dessen..." That is why I picked up this book... Let's just say I WOULD NOT compare this to Sarah Dessen... At all. 

This book started off great, it had everything I wanted when I picked it up, (somewhat) unrequited love, family dynamics, new and old friendships, summer! 

The middle kept me going, it was fast paced, had witty commentary and even a teeny bit of mystery to it. 

The ending... The ending was just... Just there! One minute I'm reading and the next I'm sitting there wondering if I missed a chapter (or three).  

Spoilers ahead! Turn back now or continue at your own risk! 

*Please keep in mind I did read this as an ARC and the finished copy may be more... complete. If you had read the finished book and know something I don't PLEASE let me know!*

What the hell? 

The loose ends in this book are enough to make me that fringe purse I've been eyeing at Target! (What? The 70's are coming back baby!)

First off Harper's Mom, is she going to die? Be okay? Make a miraculous recovery and climb Everest? 

Does Harper even care? 

While I didn't want her mom's cancer to be the focal point of the story it would've been nice if Harper showed a little bit more emotion and concern for her dying mother! 

But no, that's too much to ask for!

Then there's her "best friend" Sadie. What. A. Little. Bitch. 

She's always dragging Harper out to party, dumping her the second she finds a guy to hook up with and then by the time she's ready to leave she's too drunk to drive. On top of all that she doesn't give an eff about Harper's mom or the fact that she should be home spending time with her family. Nope she just wants a ride somewhere and then she's gone, off doing god knows what. 

But is there a wrap up? A light bulb turning on over Harper's head leading up to the last chapter? A moment when Harp realizes that a toxic friendship is the last thing she needs in her life right now? 

Nope. 

Because she's too focused on Declan. 

The ENTIRE book revolved around 'will they, won't they'. Will they talk? Will they get back together? Does he still love her? Can he forgive her? 

It was like Ross and Rachel times ten minus the actual romance. 

I'm all for romance but deal lord... 

To top it all off, I hated Harper as a character... 

In the beginning it wasn't that big of a deal but as the book went on and she continued to make 'mistake' after 'mistake' (silly me I tend to call those patterns or choices if you tend to do it OVER AND OVER AGAIN) and never learned from them... I got so frustrated! 

You ruined your reputation by making out with someone else's boyfriend so instead lets hook up in the back of a car with a guy you barley know. 

You got too wasted to see right from wrong so lets do a shot! 

You couldn't drive yourself home from the party last night because you drank too much and your friend had to come and get you but let's go out tonight and do it all over again. 

You're probably wondering why in the hell I gave this book 3 stars when I obviously didn't like it I'll just clarify. 

It wasn't awful. While I didn't like some of the characters (surprisingly the side ones weren't that bad) or the plot (if you can call it that) I really did enjoy the writing.

In fact if the ending hadn't of had all those loose ends I probably would've given it 4 stars.  

Emily Martin is a debut author and I'll actually be on the lookout to see what she has coming out next. 

Let me know if you read this one and how you felt about it! 

And if you're reading this part... Thank you for sticking around and reading that revi- rant. You deserve a gold star!

Until next time, 
Ginger 


In compliance with FTC guidelines I am disclosing that this book was given to me for free to review. 


My review is my honest opinion.  

No comments:

Post a Comment