Thursday, February 11, 2016

ARC Review of "Shallow Graves"

Shallow Graves  
By Kali Wallace  

Stars: 3
Source: EW
Release Date: January 26th 2016

Breezy doesn't remember who killed her. Or how she ended up in a shallow grave a couple of blocks from her house, in the backyard of a house that's for sale. She doesn't know why she's waking up after a year of being 'dead'. She doesn't know why the man who dug her up is now laying dead next to her. She doesn't know why she has to remind her heart to beat. She doesn't know how she can pick murderers out a crowd. And she doesn't know why her touch kills them. But while she searches for answers she realizes she isn't the only one with supernatural abilities and that there are people out there whose soul purpose in life is to hunt people like her. 

------------------------------------

I have such mixed feeling about this book. When it first started I was hooked. I hadn't read anything about this so I went in blind, and the first couple of chapters were amazing. But then it took a weird turn and left me a little disoriented. 

I loved the idea behind Breezy's story. She was murdered and now she hunts murderers. It reminded me of a much, much darker version of Kimberly Dertings "Body Finder" series. 

But when it turned into 'crazy cult hunting monsters' it lost me. It almost felt like two different books with two different plots mashed up together. 

I would've liked it so much more if it had stayed on the same track as the first couple chapters. But from the second she entered the 'church' I kept having to force myself to finish it. 

It went from what I thought was a book about murder and justice to this weird occult train wreck. 

Personally (if you couldn't tell already) this wasn't a book for me. 

I'd be interested to see what else the author has coming out but I wouldn't recommend this book.  

Until next time, 
Ginger 


In compliance with FTC guidelines I am disclosing that this book was given to me for free to review. 


My review is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment