Sunday, November 30, 2014

ARC Review of "Play Of Light"

Play Of Light By Debra Doxer 

Stars: 5 
Source: Netgalley 
Release Date: December 8th 2014 

"If I could swim across the ocean, I wonder if everything I've loved and lost would be waiting for me on the other side." 

In one split second, one horrifying breath, Sarah's perfect world is shattered. 

Her days of walking along the beach aimlessly, sketching on her roof and daydreaming about Spencer, her crush are gone. 

In order to protect themselves her family must leave behind their home, their friends and for Sarah the boy she thought she loved. 

Now years later Sarah has returned to her hometown in order to do what she tried to do years ago. Tell the truth. 

Spencer broke her heart, she lost everything that night and he was suppose to be there for her, but instead he turned his back on her and told her she meant nothing to him. 

So why now, after all this time, he can't seem to keep his eyes off of her? 

Burden by the secrets she had been made to keep and the lies she was forced to tell Sarah knows she now has the courage to come forward. But will telling the truth put the boy she loved so long ago in danger?

Sarah never stopped loving Spencer, but did he ever love her and is it possible that he still does? 

Is 'Sarah Smile', that young, carefree, happy girl still buried somewhere within her? Is it possible to ever get her back? 

"Play Of Light" is such a breath of fresh air. The cape cod setting, the young summer romance, the undeniable chemistry between the two main characters. 

But this isn't just a nice 'beach read' it has so much more depth than that. It's a story about pain and heartbreak and justice and injustice. How your world can change in the blink of an eye and how to move on without forgetting the past. 

Debra's characters are so developed, from the very first chapter, hell from the very first page they are so lively, so realistic that its less like reading a book and more like watching the actual events take place. 

The way that she describes their emotions and their thoughts, it's like Sarah's sketches and paintings, no one else could ever do it better than her. Her descriptions are one of a kind. 

"I wasn't prepared to mourn so strongly for something that never was." 

"His loss was one I would carry with me forever because I'd not only lost him, I'd lost the dream of him, which in a way was the greater loss." 

I found myself re-reading certain lines over and over again, unable to continue with the story until I had let those words sink in. 

This book was so beautifully written that I'm sure my review won't do it justice but I hope you go out and get it because this is a book that deserves all the recognition and love it can get. 

Until next time, 
Ginger 

In compliance with FTC guidelines I am disclosing that this book was given to me for free to review. 
My review is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment