Thursday, May 14, 2015

ARC Review of "Lying Out Loud"

Lying Out Loud
By Kody Keplinger

Stars:4 
Source: Edelweiss 
Release Date: April 28th 2015 

Sonny Ardmore is the worlds best liar- or worst, depending on who you ask. She can pull a lie out of thin air, without a seconds notice, and spin it into the most believable story. 

The only person Sonny ever feels bad lying to is Amy Rush, they've been best friends for years and although they tell each other everything and practically live together Sonny still fibs every know and then to keep bigger secrets from surfacing. 

When the snotty, new kid whose too good for their school (and doesn't mind telling you that) starts falling for Amy Sonny takes it into her own hands. After all Amy is way to nice to tell Ryder to bugger off so why shouldn't she step up and do the dirty work? 

But the waters become muddy when Sonny realizes that Ryder isn't as bad as she thought. She spends all night IMing him, getting to know him and opening up herself, sharing things she never thought she would, only to realize once he signs off that she was using Amy's account all along. 

Suddenly Sonny is forced with the decision to come clean or keep lying and no matter which she chooses the outcome looks the same. 


------------------------------------

Can we just take a moment to talk about how Kody sets all of her books in the same world with overlapping characters and surprise appearances from old favorites (cough cough Wesley!). I love authors who do this! There aren't many and the only other one I can think of is Sarah Dessen but it makes me fangirl a little bit (a lot!) to get small glimpses of the other characters. 

Okay moving on. 

I loved The DUFF, from page one I was hooked and I didn't set it down until I finished it, Lying Out Loud was a little bit of a slower read and pace than The DUFF. 

I didn't love it as much (although I still did give it 4 stars so obviously I didn't hate it!) I felt like Sonny wasn't my favorite MC and that Ryder was just annoying. 

I almost wish that the book had been told from Amy's point of view. I really loved her as a character and I think maybe I would've related a little bit more to her voice. 

Of course I loved all the scenes with Wesley and Bianca and I can't wait to read Kody's other books because I know some of the characters she ran into throughout the book have their own stories. 

All in all it was an okay read and I enjoyed it but it didn't necessarily meet the standards I set for it after reading The DUFF. 

Until next time, 
Ginger 

In compliance with FTC guidelines I am disclosing that this book was given to me for free to review. 
My review is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment