Sunday, October 26, 2014

ARC Review of "Love And Other Unknown Variables"

"Love And Other Unknown Variables" By Shannon Lee Alexander 

Stars: 5 
Source: Netgalley 
Release Date: October 7th 

Charlie Hanson is smart, he can tell you the square root of pi (1.77245385091), he can recite the Periodic Table Of Elements on command (or just while brushing his teeth) and he can tell you, without a shadow of a doubt, that hope is not apart of any infinite set and that you shouldn't count on something you can't measure. 

However Charlotte Finch has a different thought on that subject. 



When the two of them meet and start spending time together Charlie can't help but become enchanted by Charlotte. From the way she sings along to classic musicals to the way she encourages him to prank his English teacher, who, just happens to be her older sister. 

When Charlie learns the truth about Charlotte he's fallen too hard and too fast to prevent the inevitable heartache that will soon wash over him. 


I loved this book! I loved the mathematical and scientific references (shocking), I loved the To Kill A Mocking Bird undertones (not at all shocking) and I loved that fact that it was (for once) told from a male point of view. 

I couldn't help but laugh out loud while reading this, whether I was alone or in a crowded room. 

It was the perfect combination of lightheartedness and somber reflection. 

It was never unbearably sad nor was it too over the top with jokes and comedy. 

I know some people will disagree with that last sentence. I know a lot of people who cried like babies when they read it, but for me it was the only ending that could have possibly been written. 

I didn't go into this book with hope. Charlie stopped that dead in its tracks. 

I wasn't hoping it would end the way I wanted it to, I wasn't hoping for a miracle or a 'Hail Mary' pass and though that may sound slightly depressing it actually gave me a new found perspective while reading this book that I didn't have before. 

Sometimes hope is all you have and you hold onto it until your last dying breath. But sometimes, just sometimes you spend all your time hoping and you forget to live. You miss out on those last precious moments you have and that, in it's own way, is the definition of hopeless. 

Go pick up this book, I guarantee you, you wont be disappointed. 

Until next time,
Ginger

In compliance with FTC guidelines I am disclosing that this book was given to me for free to review. 
My review is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment