Monday, July 6, 2015

ARC Review of "Kissing In America"

Kissing In America 
By Margo Rabb 

Stars: 4
Source: Edelweiss 
Release Date: May 26th 2015 

When Eva meets Will it's like one of her favorite romance novels come to life. In a split second she goes from single to soul mate. So when Will suddenly up and moves hundreds of miles away she's understandably heartbroken. 

With the help of her best friend Annie, Eva tries to find a way to travel from New York to California to see Will all without worrying her extremely overprotective mother or even divulging the fact that she has a boyfriend. 

Flying is out of the question because of how her father died two years ago so Eva and Annie set off on a cross country road trip.
  
In this coming of age novel Rabb teaches us how to grieve, how to love and how to find ourselves. 


---------------------------------------------

I have very mixed feelings about this book. I felt like it was almost three really amazing books cut up and made into one. 

It started off feeling like a really cute, romantic, contemporary read. 

Then it got deeper and more emotional and showed us the horrible feelings of loss and pain. 

Then it turned into a road trip book (which granted is what I was expecting going into it) and suddenly there were weird bus people and STD obsessed aunts. 

All three on their own would be books I would enjoy and read but together made this weird mash up that left you tilting your head and wondering what was going on. 

Staying with the theme of mixed feelings... Eva. I couldn't help but laugh every time she daydreamed herself into the latest romance novel she was reading, it seriously made me laugh out loud. 

I actually didn't mind the 'insta love' she had with Will until he ended up leaving and she went all coo coo banana's. Really girl? Pull yourself together! 

But on the other... other hand she seemed so strong dealing with her fathers death, especially when her own mother didn't want to talk about it or acknowledge the fact that it ever happened. 

She was an okay character but was somewhat inconsistent and at times contradictory. 

I really enjoyed Annie as a character and I wish she had more of a part in the story. 

Will... Well lets just say I wasn't a fan of Will. 

All in all I did give it 4 stars because it was a really quick read and I would recommend it as a nice beachy/summer read. 

Until next time, 
Ginger 

In compliance with FTC guidelines I am disclosing that this book was given to me for free to review. 

My review is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment