Thursday, January 8, 2015

Review of "Firefight"

Firefight By Brandon Sanderson 

Stars: 5!
Source: Purchased 
Release Date: January 6th 2015 

"My name is David Charleston. 
I kill people with super powers." 

I cannot tell you the pure joy that I felt from reading that. I have waited for what felt like years to get my hands on Firefight and I was so excited to get it a couple days before the official release party and have time to read it before attending the signing. 

Let me just start off by saying that if you haven't read Steelheart you are missing out! You have not lived until you've immersed yourself in a world built by Brandon Sanderson! 

In the previous book David did the impossible, he not only killed a High Epic he killed thee High Epic. Steelheart died by Davids hand and now that the Reckoners have momentum they aren't about to stop now. 

With Newcago free and somewhat safe David finds himself with a new mission, traveling to Babylon Restored to find out exactly what the High Epic in charge has in store for her thriving community. 
Along the way we're introduced to new and exciting characters and some old favorites, whether they are Reckoners or Epics they come alive on the pages and draw you in. 

While trying to discover the mysteries of Babylon Restored David is struggling with inner demons. Killing Steelheart was his life goal, the light at the end of the tunnel, but now that he's achieved it he finds himself left with more questions than answers. 

Can Epics ever truly be good? Can they be cured? Is killing them the only answer? 

Can Megan be helped? Will she ever be the person he fell in love with? Or will killing her simply be giving her mercy?

Firefight is not 'fast paced' it's 'fast paced' times ten. Imagine a hummingbird on crack and you've got Firefight. 

I kept having to remind myself throughout the book to breathe. All I wanted to do was hold my breath and wait for the climatic scenes to end but they just kept coming, one after the other until I found myself starring at the last page in shock.  

I have no idea how Sanderson weaves such an incredible story, how he builds worlds so life like that you find yourself day dreaming about visiting them, how his characters become apart of you and change the way you look at the world. 

I have no idea how he does it but I do know that no one else could have told Davids story the way that he has. 

I will be counting down the days until I can get my hands on the third (and sadly the last) installment in this series. 

Until next time, 
Ginger 

No comments:

Post a Comment