Monday, January 5, 2015

ARC Review of "The Prey"

The Prey By Tom Isbell 

Stars: 4 
Source: Edelweiss 
Release Date: January 20th 2015 

Twenty years ago everything changed. Dozens of nations declared nuclear war on one another and the aftermath was catastrophic. 

Fast forward twenty years and the United States of America, along with it's constitution and pledge of allegiance are but a distant memory.  

Now The Republic is in charge and with their new charge comes new rules. New ways to live and for the LT's, new ways to die. 

LT- Less than. 

At Camp Liberty the LT's think that their nicknames stand for lieutenant, but in reality they aren't being trained to serve their country, they are being raised in a Hatchery, only to be hunted and killed for nothing other than entertainment, all because they are different, disfigured, handicapped. 

When they discover the truth about Camp Liberty they gather what they can and run, but things get complicated when they encounter another camp, this one full of girls, all who have now or have once had a twin sister. 


Killing for sport wasn't enough for the government, they are also using twins as experimental test subjects to find new ways to improve the health and longevity of their soldiers. 

Working together they all set out for an unknown territory, one that, hopefully, sees them as equals and not lab rats or animals to be hunted. 

I've seen so many negative reviews about this book, so many that I got to the point where I didn't want to waste my time reading it because there was no way I was going to like it. 

But I did indeed like it. I read it in one day and although it does have it's faults they don't overshadow the good parts in any way. 

I used to love dystopian/survival books and have recently been in a rut of reading nothing but contemporaries. This was such a refreshing break. I can see how some people would be turned off to this book due to the fact that the back story is lacking somewhat, but for me I think the history of the Omega and the camps were self explanatory. I'm sure we'll learn more about them in the coming books and I look forward to reading them. 

My only major fault I have does include a spoiler so if you're planning on picking this book up I suggest you stop reading this now. 

*Spoilers* 

The one thing I loathed about this book was the ending. They made it so far only to turn right back around, no gathering supplies, no resting, they didn't even look around the new territory to see if it was worth bringing all the others back to it. 

For all they know it could have made their previous arrangements look like a 5 star hotel. But no, they turned right back around and started all over again. 

As much as I loved the book that last chapter left me so frustrated I couldn't make myself give it 5 stars. 

So 4 it is and hopefully the next book isn't this one told in reverse. 

Until next time, 
Ginger 

In compliance with FTC guidelines I am disclosing that this book was given to me for free to review. 
My review is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment