Thursday, June 18, 2015

Review of "Side Effects May Vary"

Side Effects May Vary 
By Julie Murphy 

Stars: 4 
Source: Purchased 

Diagnosed with cancer at the age of 16 Alice decides that if she isn't going to make it then she's going to do all the horrible, nasty things she never would've done had she been a normal, healthy teenager. She's going to serve up a big plate of revenge to everyone who has ever wronged her and all without consequences. Because when you're staring death in the eyes nothing really matters past today. 

Alice and Harvey, her long time best friend, start enacting her grand revenge plan, one at a time until everyone is checked off the list. 

But when Alice goes into remission she realizes that all the consequences she thought she'd dodged are hurtling right at her and at full speed. 


-------------------------------------------

I have very mixed feelings about this book. 

I adored Harvey, he was such a nice guy and he would do anything for Alice, no matter what she asked of him he did it. 

But Alice... Alice was a bitch. 

She treated everyone in her life like dirt, especially Harvey. She knew how he felt about her and she still used him, manipulated him to her fullest extent and when she was done using him he went out with the garbage. 

It was so frustrating! 

I went into this book thinking it was going to be a humorous story. Alice pulls all this crap and calls out all the people who were ever mean to her and then realizes she has to face them all when she doesn't die. 

It wasn't like that at all. 

I was about as happy as Alice was when she realized she wasn't go to die. 

I'm all for the character that you find yourself loving to hate but I just flat out hated Alice. I didn't see anything redeeming about her or her actions. 

Had Harvey not been apart of the story I would've given this a 2-3 star rating but since I did enjoy his character so much I couldn't help but give it 4. 

To wrap it up, I wouldn't recommend this book but if you find yourself with nothing to read, it isn't awful. 

Until next time,
 Ginger 

No comments:

Post a Comment