Monday, June 29, 2015

Mini Review of "The Improbable Theory of Ana and Zak

The Improbable Theory of Ana and Zak

By Brian Katcher 

Stars:4
Source: Edelweiss 
Release Date: May 19th 2015 

Ana is a straight A student, she's a by the book kind of girl who follows the rules and never steps off the straight and narrow path. 

Zak is, well, the opposite, he's all about adventure and breaking the rules, and more importantly WashingCon, it's the only thing he looks forward to every year, so when he gets sucked into joining the Quiz Bowl team and attending the semi finals (which happen to be during WashingCon) he is, of course, devastated.  

When Ana's younger brother, Clayton, ditches their school's Quiz Bowl's semi-finals to run around the Science Fiction Convention he's heard Zak talking about Ana and Zak find themselves teaming up in order to track him down and save them all from a lifetime of detention and summer school.



-----------------------------------------

I read this book in one sitting and laughed my butt off through the entire read! I feel like you'll enjoy this book 10X more if you've ever attended a ComicCon/SciFi Convention. 

I related to Zak instantly when he was talking about counting down the days to the event and the fun and shenanigans that happen at ComicCon. 

Then again I also related to Ana and her somewhat misguided views on the nerdy gathering. Before attending my first Con I had the same feelings and thoughts Ana had and of course, just like Ana, after seeing what it's like in person, completely changed my mind and embraced the geek culture. 

This is going to be a quick review since I read this a couple weeks ago and can't seem to find my notes but to sum it up for you I loved the characters, the setting and all the pop culture references, from Star Trek to Star Wars, they were all on point! 

Another quick thing I wanted to mention was that even though this was a quick read with a ton of comedy and a little romance the underlining deeper themes were what really made this book for me. 

Zak's relationship with his step dad and Ana's relationship with her parents were what, for me, really rounded out the story and what made it stick out from other cutesy summer reads. 

All in all I'd recommend this for the closet nerds, intense gamer's or to those who fully embrace the fact that they should have been born on a star ship or in a galaxy somewhere far, far away. 

Until next time, 
Ginger 

In compliance with FTC guidelines I am disclosing that this book was given to me for free to review. 

My review is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment